Monday, November 29, 2010

Exhibition Time

Exhibition coming up, the 29th Annual DTL at Artcite 109 University Ave W. Windsor The opening reception will be Dec.3 7:00pm however the exhibition will run til Dec.23 2010

I just completed my 10 pieces for the show and I am very pleased with the results. All that hard work has really paid off, however I don't feel that these pics really do them all the justice I feel they deserve.  To really capture the beauty of this collection try to make it down to the opening reception of the exhibition Friday night...........

 "Bird In A Tree"
12" x 36" x .5"
Acrylic on stretched canvas
This started out as an attempt at an abstract piece however after I finished it I don't really feel like it's very abstract at all, not really what I started out going for but I am very pleased with the end result.
 "Silhouette In Amazement"
24" x 36" x .5"
Acrylic on stretched canvas
This piece suffered a horrible tragedy but has made out alive! When working on the next painting "Blue Birds" my easel decided it wanted to just fall apart and go crashing down and into/right through "Silhouette In Amazement" ripping a hole through the painting right underneath of the bird! It was horrible, and I was devastated but the good news is I was able to repair the painting to "as good as new" there is absolutely no visible scar from the front and on the back there is a 3" x 3" patch the same colour as the canvas.  The material I used to repair the painting is all archival safe so it will have no affect on how the painting will age.
 "Blue Birds"
18" x 24" x .5"
Acrylic on stretched canvas
Again I attempted to do an abstract bird painting and I ended up with this beautiful surreal bird painting, again I am very pleased with the end result. I think the problem I keep running into when trying to attempt an abstract piece is when I try to incorporate the bird into it, for some reason it causes me to make the painting more real, I really don't know what my problem is but I will keep attempting it and if nothing else I end up with some super non abstract pieces along the way. Thats ok too.
 "Wonderland"
12" x 36" x .5"
Acrylic on stretched canvas
Well you are probably wondering why I would name a peacock painting "Wonderland" well it would be a good question.  The answer is.... when my neighbour was over and looking at them she said this one reminded her of something from "Alice in Wonderland" and all though there wasn't a peacock in the story she thought that if there had been it would look like this one. So in turn you get the name "Wonderland."  It's not what I was thinking when I painted it though, actually,  I really wasn't thinking when I painted it; because if I was, I would have remembered how long and tedious it was the last time I did it and probably wouldn't have done it again.  So I guess in retrospect it's a good thing my memory stinks because I am glad I took the time and had the patients to complete this gorgeous piece.
 "Dreams"
12" x 36" x .5"
Acrylic on stretched canvas
This piece started out as many things, it was actually suppose to be a big ugly bird with lots of beautiful colours flowing out from behind/underneath it.  Well thats obviously not what it is.  Its not because I had a hard time painting an ugly bird, if that makes any sense? I would paint it exactly how I wanted it and it would look ugly so I would do it over but I wanted it to be ugly, that was the concept.  See? Doesn't make sense so I did a white owl from my imagination instead, I know it makes no sense! It always seems to end up good in the end thougth, so again it's ok! :)
 "The Plunge"
11" x 14" x .5"
Acrylic on stretched canvas
Yay! I did it! An abstract bird painting and it is really an abstract piece, finally! It was suppose to be an abstract bird painting and it is an abstract bird painting, well it kind of looks like a trippy blue rubber ducky but it's abstract so what difference does it make! I called it "The Plunge" because it reminds me of a rubber ducky swirling around the water going down the drain.
 "Birds On A Wire"
12" x 36" x .5"
Acrylic on stretched canvas
I know it's probably been done a million times in a million ways, so whats one more.  I just really wanted to do this type of piece since I brought all these panaramic style canvas' home.  So here is my interpretation of "Birds On A Wire". I think it has kind of a 'grunge' look/feel about it.

 "A Love Story"
24" x 36" x .5"
Acrylic on stretched canvas
I absolutely LOVE this piece!!! It is probably my all time favourite painting that I have ever done.  I just wish this picture did it the justice that it deserves. In real life it is rather large (note the measurements) and it really is breathtaking, I think!  I actually wont be to disappointed if this one didn't sell at the exhibition, ya right! The exhibition has a price cap of $99.99 so I have to let this one go for a steal.  This one definately wouldn't have been priced cheaper then $300 in my shop.
 "Night of the White Owl"
18" x 24" x .5"
Acrylic on stretched canvas
I love to paint the world in animal print, if you know me then you also know of my animal print obsession.  There is nothing unusual about zebra print trees in my world. 
"Tis The Season"
8" x 10" x .5"
Acrylic on stretched canvas
Again, the picture does not do it justice.  This piece has 3D snow in real life and the birds look like they are about to hop off of the canvas.  The 3D snow was actually very spontanious, when in the middle of this painting I went up town for something else and came across this Craft Deco 3D Snow  and thought that it might look cool if I did the snow in this painting with that instead of just white paint and I was right, it turned out awsome! And perfect time for this very festive piece.

1 comment:

karen said...

WOW - THE COLLECTION LOOKS AMAZING!!!
I HAVE SEEN THE PAINTING "A LOVE STORY" - AND PEOPLE WOULD UNDERSTAND THE TITLE BETTER IF THEY KNEW THERE WERE RED HEARTS HANGING IN THE TREE - CAUSE YOU CAN HARDLY SEE THEM IN THE PIC....I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU AND YOUR WORK.
GORGEOUS